I love chili, especially during a Whole 30, but lately, my go-to recipes seem boring.
I decided to take my favorite chili base: ground beef, fire roasted tomatoes and bone broth, and add in totally new flavors: red curry paste, coconut milk and butternut squash.
It was just what I needed. A chili game-changer.
2 lbs ground beef
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 each red, yellow, orange bell pepper, diced
1 whole yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup beef bone broth
1/2 cup canned full-fat coconut milk (solid parts)
1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
3 tablespoons red curry paste (you’ll find this on the international aisle in grocery store)
2 heaping tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1. Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot and wait for the metal insert to heat up.
2. When hot, add ground beef and a sprinkle of sea salt. Break apart and cook until no longer pink.
3. Stir in vegetables, add a bit more sea salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Next, stir in the tomato paste, red curry paste, minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
5. Add in spices, bone broth, tomatoes and coconut milk last. Stir well to make sure liquid reaches the bottom.
6. Lock the lid and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes. (Press the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button and set the time for 15 minutes under high pressure.)
7. Once finished cooking, allow pressure to come down naturally.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
•If cooking on stove top or in a slow cooker, increase beef broth to 1 1/2 cups and coconut milk to 1 cup.
•This makes a lot! Cut recipe in half or plan to freeze half.